Thursday, December 6, 2012

Distracted Driving

     After reading "The Dangers Of Distracted Driving" in The New York Times's Upfront Magazine, I realized just how important it is to stay alert while driving. This article described Rebecca Rapin's adventure as she set out to make a public service announcement about distracted driving, and the dangers that it brings. And she got it just right! "With a soda in one hand and a burger in the other a young driver in a convertible struggles to balance lunch and steering as she zips down the road" explains one of the scenes depicted in her video. She was awarded $1,000 and to have her video professionally filmed when she won Scholastic's Drive to Life contest this year. She was able to get her message across when her video was aired around the country on National Youth Traffic Safety Month.
     As mentioned in the article "texting and talking on cellphones gets the most discussion, but there are many things we do while driving that are distractions." Anything from eating to listening to you iPod are hazards while driving. You are 28% more likely to be in an accident if you use your cellphone while driving and in the USA alone 5,474 people died from distracted driving in 2012. Many survivors of accidents from distracted driving suffer major injuries and brain damage. Their lives have been altered from something as simple as text, and may never be the same again. Distracted driving is most common among teens with 69% of teens admitting to it. Some states have realized how big of a problem this is, and have issued laws prohibiting texting and driving, and cell phone use with teen drivers. Even car companies have begun to find solutions to the dangers of distracted driving. Ford has recently come out with a car that locks your phone if its plugged in while your driving. This car postpones the phone from receiving text messages and doesn't allow the phone to receive calls. These modifications in the modern world helps a little, but it's really all up to you. When your driving don't use your phone or multi-task. The responsibility to stay safe is up to you. What will you do?

Check out Rebecca's video here!

3 comments:

  1. Jaylan, great post! I felt like it was written word for word and it felt like the magazine was on the computer screen. The pictures added a good touch to the article. In my apinion, I would never text and drive because I know that some people don't even watch what they are doing, I would rather keep an eye on the cars around me than on my cell phone. Hope to read more from you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea that there came so much responisbility with safe driving!!!! I thought only txting and driving was bad. It never occured to me that such a simple thing as eating lunch at the wheel could cause an accident!!!Now I understand why car insurance costs so much :D!!!!!! Great pharagraph!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jaylan, this post was again very well written. You supported so many good points with facts and information like "You are 28% more likely to be in an accident if you use your cellphone while driving..." That fact was amazing I never realized how risky it is to use your cellphone while driving. When I drive I am going to make sure I don't text and drive by putting my phone in my glove box in my car. That was a great piece of writing Jaylan! I learned a lot from it.

    ReplyDelete